Tombuie Charcuterie Scotland - Cured and Smoked Meats
Tombuie Smokehouse for specialist smoked meats and cured meats
Tradition and Innovation
At Tombuie Charcuterie we believe in tradition and innovation. Our products range from Tombuie extra mature smoked cheese, traditional pastrami and honey-roast smoked duck through to our exciting whisky-infused smoked venison, sweet-cured beef, and our award-winning carpaccio-cut smoked beef.
Our Wisps of Scotch Lamb, which were commissioned by Scotch Lamb for the VIP area at the Bocuse d'Or, are sublime wafer thin slices of lamb that dissolve on your tongue with a wonderfully subtle flavour of sweet lamb surrounded by a hint of oak.
Quality, Consistency and Loving Care
Tombuie Smokehouse was founded by Donald and Sally Crystal in 1981. Why is it still in existence whilst so many smokehouses have come and gone? We believe Tombuie Charcuterie has a few key differentiators that make our smoked and cured meats stand out from the crowd:
The personal touch
- Tombuie Charcuterie is a specialist meat and game smokers/curers, so we're used to blending the subtle flavours, balancing the cure with the product and making sure that they're not drowned out by the taste of the smoke.
- Our own beef - Tombuie Charcuterie uses only our own Hardiesmill Beef which comes from pedigree Aberdeen Angus cattle raised on grass and grass-silage in the Scottish Borders.
- Farm-Smoked by us – all our meats are smoked or cured by ourselves here on the farm. Every batch is lovingly watched over for quality, flavour, texture and consistency. Every slice is laid out by hand.
Gourmet food with a fabulous taste
- Comprehensive cover of palate -let's hit all the taste points, not just the front-of-tongue.
- Tenderness and Moisture - there's no point hitting all the taste points if the product's as easily swallowed as a piece of 4'x8' plywood, the eating experience has to cultivate taste, texture and after-taste if it's really going to please!
- Longevity of taste - It's so disappointing having to think hard to remember what you've just eaten within seconds of swallowing. Longevity of taste enhances enjoyment, and works just as well with subtle flavours as it does with strong ones.
Awards and Exhibitions
Tombuie was shortlisted the SCOTLand Food & Drink Excellence Awards 2008 for savoury with our Extra Mature Smoked Cheese and won with our Hardiesmill Medley. We supplied the Orient Express with Smoked Guinea Fowl throughout 2009 and Pastrami in 2010.
Our smoked and cured meats for Hardiesmill have been exhibited by the Scottish Government in Brussels at the Taste of Life (Best of Europe) Exhibition and by Scotch Beef at the International Michelin-star cooking competition in Lyon, The Bocuse d'Or.
In 2012 our customers have won Scotland’s: best Luxury Restaurant, best New Restaurant, best Sporting Venue, best Inn, best Guest House and Britain’s best Service Station and Independent Bookshop.
Founded in 1981 as Tombuie Smokehouse by Sally and Donald Crystal, the recipes and style of smoking are still the same, though we moved the company away from Aberfeldy to Hardiesmill in the Scottish Borders when Sally and Donald retired.